Giro d’Italia 2015: Polanc wins the stage and Contador wears pink
The fifth stage of the Giro d’Italia 2015 was the first to end up with the long climb (17 kilometers) to Abetone, second rate. In this day of cycling include two stories: first, the great victory of Jan Polanc (Lampre), a boy of just 23 years, and the second to Alberto Contador (Tinkoff – Saxo) is already the leader in the overall standings.
We begin with the triumph of Polanc, the best of the day’s break which formed practically when just ten kilometers of stage and had acquired an important enough to be played including the stage edge. Polanc attacked near the start port and has since remained in the lead, showing that it is made in good pasta and painting a great climber.
In the main pack, Simon Clarke (Orica GreenEDGE), the maglia rosa, could not stand the pace of the gregarious and Fabio Aru Contador (Astana), as expected. At that time, the leadership passed to his teammate Esteban Chaves (Orica GreenEDGE), but the counter attack five kilometers to finish completely broke all schemes.
Madrid was to get him to Richie Porte (Sky) and Aru, in addition to Mikel Landa (Astana). Who did not react was Rigoberto Uran (Etixx – Quick Step), who returns to give more time in the overall standings and pick up the trio of favorites. Aru, Contador and entered Porte goal in that order scraping the Italian 4 seconds bonus for being only 2 of the new leader.
• Jan Polanc (Slo) Lampre-Merida 4:09:18
• Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) 0:01:31 IAM Cycling
• Fabio Aru (Ita) Team Astana
• Alberto Contador (Spa) Saxo-Tinkoff
• Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky
• Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Team Astana 0:01:44
• Dario Cataldo (Ita) 0:01:53 Team Astana
• Yury Trofimov (Rus) Team Katusha
• Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team
• Darwin Atapuma Hurtado (Col) BMC Racing Team
• Alberto Contador (Spa) Saxo-Tinkoff 16:06:54
• Fabio Aru (Ita) 0:00:02 Team Astana
• Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:00:20
• Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:22
• Dario Cataldo (Ita) 0:00:28 Team Astana
• Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica GreenEdge 0:00:37
• Giovanni Visconti (Ita) 0:00:56 Team Movistar
• Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Team Astana 0:01:01
• Formolo Davide (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling Team Garmin-0:01:15
• Andrey Amador (CRC) 0:01:18 Team Movistar
And after these days of intense cycling, the peloton will face this thursday May 14th stage are expected quiet, and after the efforts of these days ago. The peloton continues his journey south and will face 183 km from Montecatini Terme and Castiglione of Pescaglia, with a profile that suggests a sprint outcome.